Alex Barron’s career-high three assists lead Quinnipiac over Dartmouth

Updated: November 16, 2013

The No. 6 nationally ranked Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey team defeated Dartmouth 3-1 on Saturday night.

Photo by Arthur Bailin

Photo by Arthur Bailin

The victory gives the Bobcats an 11-1-1 record (5-0-1 ECAC) while the loss drops the Big Green to 0-8-0 (0-6-0 ECAC), making them wait until next time to get their first win.

The Bobcats outshot the Big Green eight-to-five through the first twenty minutes of play.

Quinnipiac took the lead just three minutes into the game on junior Bryce Van Brabant’s (Morinville, Alberta) third goal of the season.

Cory Hibbeler’s (St. Charles, Mo.) shot deflected off the padding of Dartmouth’s senior goalie, Cab Morris, which set up a straight shot for Van Brabant that nailed the top left corner of the net.

Sophomore Alex Barron (Glendora, Calif.) also earned an assist along with Hibbeler. It was the first of Barron’s career-high three assists in the game.

“He’s been playing very well,” head coach Rand Pecknold said. “Alex has really taken a jump from last year and making these assists, which are simple plays is all we are asking him to do.”

Hibbeler gave Quinnipiac a 2-0 lead four minutes into the second period. After stealing the puck, he skated down the ice and scored out from the right faceoff circle with the help of the second Barron assist.

The Bobcats ended their streak of 18 consecutive power plays without a goal on Jordan Samuels-Thomas’ (West Hartford, Conn.) power-play goal near the end of the second period, which gave the Bobcats a 3-0 lead.

Danny Federico (Acton, Mass.) kept possession of the puck, passing to Barron and then he found Samuels-Thomas wide open for the one-timer.

Barron’s third assist in the game gave him a total of five assists on the weekend.

“It was awesome and it felt good to keep putting points on the scoreboard to help our team win,” Barron said.

The Big Green struggled on the offensive end at first, but that changed when Tim O’Brien earned his second goal on the year for Dartmouth in the second period.

A miscommunication in the Quinnipiac defense caused a pass from Geoff Ferguson to go wide-open to O’Brien who went 1-on-1 with Michael Garteig and snuck the puck under his legs.

That was the only blemish on Garteig’s record for the night. He finished the game saving 19 of Dartmouth’s 20 shots on goal.

Despite the Bobcats outshooting the Big Green 12-to-3 in the third period, both teams showed strong defenses in the quiet final period of the game.

Quinnipiac extended its NCAA-leading unbeaten streak to 12. The game also ends the Bobcats’ longest home stand of the season, earning three wins and a tie.

After another week of practice, the Bobcats will prepare for a home-and-home weekend series with the 2-7-0 Princeton University Tigers.

The puck drops for both games at 7 p.m. with action at Princeton on Friday, Nov. 22 and back at Highpoint Solutions Arena on Saturday, Nov. 23.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: