Bobcats’ late comeback fails with tough loss to Army


Photos: QBSN

Keith Savage

Zero. That is how many times Quinnipiac women’s basketball had a lead vs. Army today.

The Bobcats got close in the game’s final seconds. Rose Caverly hit a big three-pointer with six seconds left to tie the game at 50. Amani Free, who was one of the Bobcats’ only bright spots in the game, committed an unnecessary foul with two seconds remaining that brought Army’s Kate Murray to the line for two. She missed the first, but nailed the second to give Army their third win of the season.

Quinnipiac started out slow in the first half, shooting a meager 17 percent and down 30-23 at the end of the two quarters. Free was the leading scorer of the half with eight points off the bench in the second quarter.

Army’s offense looked great in the first quarter, but slowed down in the second and was outscored 15-13. The Bobcats’ defense really tightened up after the first frame.

Coach Tricia Fabbri got the message to her team at the half to stop shooting so many three-pointers. The Bobcats were horrendous from range, shooting just 4-19 from three. In the second half, they started scoring in the paint more, and attempted only five three-pointers from then out.The only one that went in was Caverly’s that tied things up with with six seconds left.

The only reason why Quinnipiac kept the game close was their rebounding. Quinnipiac had 50 rebounds, with 23 of them being on offensive glass. Junior Mackenzie DeWees led the way with a total of 10 rebounds. Army’s poor rebounding almost lost them the game.

The lead player off the bench, Amani Free, had a game to remember, scoring a career-high 16 points and notching seven rebounds. In the first three games of the year, she had only scored a combined 15 points, but today was her day and she was the key reason why the game was so close. Free was the only Bobcat player to shoot above 50 percent from the floor.

The Bobcats’ offensive game finally clicked in the fourth quarter, but it was not enough. The defense held Army to only two made baskets in the final quarter while Quinnipiac’s offense was cooking. The team shot 63 percent and had all of the momentum. However, Free’s foul with two seconds left was a heart-crusher to end the game. She was the Bobcats’ best player, but an untimely mistake proved costly.

Quinnipiac is now 2-2 on the season and will go on to play Manhattan on Friday.