The Bobcats Come Storming Back to Win on Senior Day in Overtime

Brandon Murdock

On a day when the Quinnipiac Bobcats celebrated its seniors, they were able to come all the way back and defeat the Canisius Golden Griffins in overtime, 9-8.

The Griffins opened the scoring five minutes into the game when Meg Hiltz was able to take the ball inside and made no mistake finishing.

Canisius would proceed to score the next three goals and take a four-goal lead in the first quarter. This was headlined by a first-quarter hattrick by Caroline Netti.

The run finally ended when Amy Nicoloff was able to take advantage of a free position shot in the last two minutes to leave the score 4-1 in favor of Canisius going into the second quarter.

The second quarter was much more even as each team was able to score twice in the frame. 

Things got exciting late in the quarter however when Emily Feeney got on the board for the Bobcats with 37 seconds remaining, but this was answered by Skylar McArthur who scored for the Griffins with two seconds remaining to give them a 6-3 halftime lead.

The Bobcats scored the only two goals in the third quarter, once again scoring a goal in the last minute, as Sophie Spencer who has been a point-per-game player for the Bobcats, scored with just three seconds remaining.

“I would contribute that to the whole unit,” said head coach Tanya Kotowicz. “We have a really talented goalie, Kat, but we also have a really talented defensive unit.”

The score going into the last quarter would be 6-5 in favor of Canisius.

Thanks to Paige Stachura and Skylar McArthur scoring early goals for the Griffins, they were able to enjoy an 8-5 lead with just over eight minutes remaining.

This is when the Bobcats got to work.

Desiree Kleberg scored two goals in a 26-second span to make this an 8-7 game with 5:23 remaining.

“It’s such a great feeling,” said Kat Henselder. “Because we see it in practice, sometimes we get stuck…but seeing them string it together like we see in practice is amazing.”

EllaGrace Delmond was able to tie this game up at eight and sent it to overtime when she scored on a free position shot with 56 seconds left on the clock.

“From the first draw we knew this was our game,” said Desiree Kleberg. “Senior day, a lot of emotions, we wanted to just come out on top.”

In the second overtime period, the Bobcats did come out on top as they were able to take their only lead of the game when Kleberg scored her fourth goal on a free-position shot.

The Bobcats will look to keep the momentum rolling when they take on Iona at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, April 19 in Hamden, Connecticut.